Thursday 10 June 2010

CDAA workshop: 29. HBDI influence

(This post forms part of a series of powerpoint slides from a presentation I gave at the Career Development Association of Australia Conference 2010 entitled: The Roller-coaster Ride from Permanent Part-time Employee to Private Practitioner.)

I came across the The Whole Brain model of thinking at "The Mind and its Potential" conference in Sydney late 2009. It's an excellent conference with relevance for many people in their day to day living; covering aspects of science, learning, creativity and personal development.

The "Hermann Brain Dominance Instrument" is a helpful way of getting a 'birds eye' view of whatever it is you're setting up or beginning. It follows the idea that the brain has a right and left hemisphere, each with it's own distinct way of looking at the world. It then subdivides those halves, so there is a total of 4 parts, giving them particular attributes as well. These are colour coded which makes them easy to remember.

The diagram on the top left gives an idea how I used the ideas in my own small business setup.

I found the ideas helpful even at this late stage having already begun my business, and with clients already making appointments. It reminded me to look at the 4 quadrants and check that I'd covered the different aspects and hadn't got carried away with a feel-good, hair-brained scheme and forgotten about the facts and details. 

The model is particularly useful when you get on a roll with a brilliant idea, as it brings you down to earth with an easy, sequential and logical way of checking that you are being rational, thinking of the financials and all the things that can be ignored in the excitement of a new venture.

For anyone who is particularly pedantic, I suggest you don't get caught up trying to find the exact spot in the brain that equates to the concept being covered. It's not meant to be a map of the brain, but a way to help us relate to others at work and at home.

The Whole Brain Business Book by Nedd Herrmann is user friendly, easy to read and practical. It focuses more on the personal and inter-personal business aspects of the uses of the instrument but was still a useful addition to the overview I gained at the conference. Differences are celebrated, careers suggested to complement a person's strengths, and we're reminded of ways to get the most from all members in a team.

Another book using the HBDI could be good for parents of young children. "Why don't you understand?" by Susie Leonard Weller. Weller discusses the 4 thinking styles, and using these, suggests practical ways to improve communication within the family.

Whilst I'm not accredited in the HBDI, I've found the information gained from reading the books, attending talks and having my profile completed have been extremely useful for day to day living, family interactions and within my business.

.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Found your post quite helpful. I've been considering getting certified in HBDI, but the US$5,000 fee is a bit out of my league.

Sue said...

thanks Mike, I appreciate your feedback. I'm still not certified, but use the concepts regularly in my personal and professional life.

I've joined their group on LinkedIn and find the discussions interesting and have been invited to some seminars which have been useful as well.

It's the next best thing to certification!
Sue